Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Mama, I can do it."

I can remember telling my mama this. I can remember being very young and telling her that I could do it. Tying my shoes.....I could do it. Open a door. I could do it. Read. I could do it.

My whole life.....I've been saying "I can do it." When I was younger, it wasn't a problem, because those were all things that I needed to do alone, but at this point......... the truth is, that I can't do it alone. I can't do it. I am incapable of any of it alone.

Tonight.......this morning, I am broken. I am broken from the inside out, because I have found myself in a place that I have never imagined visiting. I have been involved in an abusive relationship, one that no one really "knew" about, and it took having the very essence of everything I strive to have as far as a relationship to be greatly challenged, for me to realize that not only did it have to end indefinitely, but that I had to share it. I had to let it out, because I CAN'T DO IT.

And I can truly say that I can't do it.

But I don't remember a time of not knowing a song that goes like this:

Jesus loves me
This I know
For the Bible
Tells me so
Little ones to him belong
for they are weak, but He is strong.

Tonight, I am weak. I am that little one, but my God is strong. And not only is my God strong, but he has placed some pretty amazing people within my life to lean on. I'm not expected to do any of this alone.


I can almost hear my daddy signing this to me right now:


I feel the touch of hands so kind and tender.
They're leading me in the paths that I must trod.
I'll have no fear for Jesus walks beside me
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.

So let the storm rage high,
The dark clouds rise,
They don't worry me;
For I'm sheltered safe witin the arms of God.
He walks with me,
And naught of earth shall harm me,
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.

Soon I shall hear the call from heaven's portals
Come home my child,
It's the last mile you must trod
I'll fall asleep
And wake in God's sweet heaven
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.

So let the storm rage high,
The dark clouds rise,
They don't worry me;
For I'm sheltered safe within the arms of God.
He walks with me,
And naught of earth shall harm me,
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.







Thank you God for my family. Thank you for my friends, and thank you for loving me enough to send your son as the perfect example of the fact that I don't have to do it alone. 

1 comment:

Lee said...

Hold this fast: Abuse is abuse... whether it is mental, emotional, physical... and it doesn't matter how little or how much was present. It is never, ever, right.

Being quiet in the face of abuse is never, ever, right.

And just by saying, "I can't" you become that much stronger... because the arms of your Father holding you ARE that much stronger.

And that, my dear, is always, always, right.

Strong. You are very strong. Because of Him.

Much love.