Monday, December 20, 2010

Words Don't Suffice

Tonight driving home from Nashville I talked with a friend that's lost her father. All day I've felt an urgency to speak with her, because I needed to make verbal contact.

As soon as she said hello, I felt her spirit leap through the phone and tell me that she needed to be hugged, that she needed for someone to just listen. SO I listened.

I listened as she told me about her father killing himself, and how confused she is, and how much it hurts.

My brain shuffled for words. For something that might be appropriate to say......................THERE WAS NOTHING.

I extended to her that if she needed something, that if there was something that I could do for her, which I know that their isn't, but to let me know if there was.

I sent my spirit to be with her.

When I hung up the phone, I cried out to God. I asked him to send comfort. To let peace like a river flow through her soul. There are so many things in this world that I don't understand, things that hurt. Struggles don't always make sense to me.

Tonight when I got home, I went straight to see my daddy. I wrapped my arms around him, and I told him how much I love him, and how much I need him. I talked to him about this heaviness for my friend.

As I wrapped my arms around him, all I could visualize is my friend never being able to do that again. I prayed for God to help me to take advantage of every moment. To soak it up.

And I prayed that God let my friend feel the presence of her father embracing her throughout the remainder of her life.

Times like these, there is nothing to say. All we can do is send our spirits to be with someone.
Words don't suffice.

No comments: