Friday, December 24, 2010

There is nothing more that I could ask for..........................

Christmas Eve for me has always consisted of going to my grandparent's house. We eat dinner and anticipate what morning will bring. When my brothers and I were young we insisted as soon as we were through eating that we had to get home, before Santa came and we weren't asleep. I can remember us driving my daddy crazy, until finally he'd give in, and we'd leave.

As we've grown older we've never lost that excitement about Christmas, but for me the reasons for the excitement have shifted:

Tonight after dinner there were no kids insisting that we make a run for it. There were not tons of presents wrapped under the tree that we tried to sneak peeks at. There was no worry about Santa or any of his reindeer. There was just a great feeling of the need to simply enjoy each other, accept each other, and to be still and know that we are blessed beyond measure to share this time with one another. We laughed, sang, smiled, joked, and clearly were enthralled by the fact that we were all in the same room.

Tonight as I think about what Christmas is, the excitement that the very word brings to my soul, I can't help but think about God's love letter to the world sent to make a way for all. I can't help but think that when he crafted this letter he know exactly what he was doing. And he knew that so many years later my family would gather in a room and share and celebrate that love with one another.

The older I get, and the more experiences I gain, the more valuable all of this becomes. For life is truly a treasure. It is something that should be savored. You can't get a single moment back, and what's happening right this minute is the most important.


AND

There is nothing more that I could ask for.

No comments: