Thursday, September 10, 2009

Changed


One year ago I was..................
Scared......that I didn't fit.
Worried...... that I couldn't do it.
Hiding............within myself.
All of my feelings and thoughts, I only shared them with a select few. Was I ok? Yeah. I was great, but now I'm even better.

I'm not afraid to tell you how I feel anymore, because you've listened. I don't worry about fitting anymore, because it's overrated. I know I can do it, because I just can. I won't hide anymore, because there's no reason to.

Last August a process began in my life that has changed me forever, I started my teaching cohort. All of these things above described me, exactly.

As I began to dive into what being a teacher really means, I uncovered things about myself that I have never known. I took hold of my soul purpose, which is to teach. To teach with actions, with words, with questions,with convictions, but most of all, with my heart. It has spilled into every facet of my life. I am different. I have grown, and I am glad.

Granted, there is still so far to go, but I'm learning that reflecting on my growth, gives me just as much satisfaction as it does my students when they can see their progress.

Another example of "spilling over," is the fact that I can see more clearly who I am. I am a minister, I know that. I've heard God's voice blaring through many of the people and things around me. Do I stand in front of a congregation and speak? No. Will I ever? Not completely sure, but I do know that I have to minister to the people within my life.

What does that mean, to minister to them?
It may just mean listening. It may mean praying with them, or for them. It may mean just sitting there in the silence, comforting them by just breathing. It may mean encouraging them, or holding thier hand. It might mean a hug, or a smile. It could quite possibly mean crying with them or laughing with them. It might just be the words, "you will get through this," or "you do have the power."

Hmmmm.....sounds like we all do it, everyday.

I am so thankful for the people within my life that are pushing, listening, caring for, praying for, and in essence, ministering to me. WE FEED OFF OF EACH OTHER!

Each of us has a spark of life inside us, and our highest endeavor ought to be to set off that spark in one another. - Kenny Ausubel


Seems kind of ironic that 2nd grade is all about change!
That's the grade I'm student teaching in :)

No comments: