Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"The Great Kapok Tree"

I read this book to my students for the first time yesterday and I knew that they were ready for it and would give me some good thoughts, but one student really surprised me.

"Senhor, when you awake, please look upon us all with new eyes"

My question: "Does that mean that the boy wanted the man to literally get new eyeballs to look at things?"

Very shy little girl: "No. It means that he wants him to see the world differently, through the eyes of beauty and love."

I was floored, and she said it so well. I'm pretty sure that I stood there with my mouth hanging open for at least 20 seconds. My host teacher and I locked eyes at about the same time and I could see that she was just as pleased as I was. :)

I am learning so much from these people that only have 7 or 8 years of experience with life.

My God, if we could all look at things through the eyes of "beauty and love," the way that I truly believe children do, there is no telling what mountains humans could move.

Anything, but ordinary :)

No comments: